Sunday, June 15, 2008

5 days later...Happy Father's Day too.

(the post below this may say it was posted today (thank heaven for epidurals) but I actually wrote that a few days ago, and forgot to hit publish and just logged off. Oops)

I feel like I got hit by a bus. A really big bus that didn't even put its brakes on. From the front and the back. Parts of my body are sore that I didn't even realize could be sore. It really is great fun to recover from birth AND have a newborn to take care of. Good thing he is cute.

Now I need to vent a tiny little bit...

1. People are already asking us when we are having another child, which I expect. However, when we say we aren't, everyone says we will change our minds. We say that we won't and really don't get into it. Then when they push a little more, and make it seem like we are young and dumb, we tell them why. So here is why: The doctor's never wanted me to be pregnant in the first place. It was way too risky based upon my previous medical conditions. I was really very lucky to come out of this the way I did, as was Dominic. Dennis and I thought long and hard about the risks and benefits for ONE child...we decided before we were even pregnant with Dominic that the risks were way to high for me, and one successful pregnancy was more than we could ever ask for. The doctor's have advised that also. Especially with all the scares about Dominic at the end of the pregnancy. So the point, we are not having another child. If we decide the Dominic needs a brother or sister, we will adopt. So instead of pushing us that we only feel this way because we are tired, think about the fact that we already put my life on the line to have Dominic, and feel it was completely worth the risk, and be grateful that everything is as wonderful as it is and everyone is here to enjoy it.

2. Times have changed. Dad's stay in the room the whole birth, feed babies, change diapers, do laundry, etc. I'm not a bitch or lazy or bad wife, I am realistic. I gave birth 5 days ago, have battle scars that you don't want to know about and have every right to sit my ass down on the couch and have Dennis change a diaper or 2. We actually take turns! It really is a fascinating concept. Just because that isn't what happened in your relationship, whether you are 100 or 26, doesn't mean it isn't normal in others.

3. No he isn't going to fall. Yes I am being careful. His neck is supported just fine. It is ok to hold him this much. Yes, he is allowed to leave the house right away. He looks like both of us.
Just a few of the statements I say 300 times a day.

Ok, enough venting.

So today is Dennis' first father's day! I was changing Dominic's diaper this morning and had the news on. Dennis is in bed sleeping very peacefully. The lady on the news starts talking about the Newport Folk Festival, and how it isn't really a folk festival because most of the bands playing aren't folky. Then she says fronted by rock bands PHISH, The Black Crowes and Jimmy Buffet....blah blah blah. OMFG. I like jumped on Dennis and said Phish is playing at the folk festival and he freaked out and jumped out of bed and was like omg buy tickets and literally ran around the room. He had received a few email articles of the last weeks that phish was talking about a reunion...so it all made sense to us since Trey was signed up to play at the festival already. Turns out she read the copy wrong because she is a bitch. It is still just Trey scheduled to perform, not phish. What a way to break a guys heart on his first fathers day.

3 comments:

nicole said...

yes he can leave the house, everyday, even the first day out of the hospital. No you wont break him, they come made pretty tough and resilient even if they are floppy and and a little jumpy at times. his head may fall back a little, it wont snap in two, I promise. and no, you arent ah orrible mother if you dont breastfeed, i swear some peolpe think there is nothing worse than a mother who doesnt breastfeed. my child is fine, he didnt end up with an extra arm growing out of his forehead becasue i didnt breastfeed. oh, and most importantly, yes its ok to pick him up EVERY time he cries, thats how they learn to trust that you are going to take careof him. they are too young to get spoiled! i hated all the shit people used to say to me at the begining, it is SO annoying.

Fabulous FĂȘtes said...

Ditto Nicole.
I think first time mother's always get a lot of this unwanted advice.
I love the new pictures of the baby. I think depending on the face is he making who he looks like could go one way or another. Regardless, he's very cute!
Baby E usually looks like E but sometimes he will make a certain face and it's like ooo there's Nicole. He'll change a lot too. I always find it amazing how a newborn baby can look like one parent and as the weeks pass he starts looking exactly like the other parent. Even if the two parents look nothing alike. I don't think Alexis and I will have that problem since people usually think we're related (ew). Anyway, I'm sure your doing a fantastic job and try not to let it get to you. Just do things however your comfortable.

ms. ann thropic said...

You are a fantastic human being and mother who sacrificed a lot to bring that gorgeous boy into the world. Every decision you've made for 9 months has been for him and I know you're taking good care of him. Anyone who doesn't see that deserves a broken nose from a well-aimed, flying, poopy diaper. Turns out that not taking babies out in the world is what's bad for them. Also turns out that not holding babies is what's bad for them. I can't count the number of times I wished I'd said, "Tell you what, if you'd like to do it differently, I'd be happy to shove him right up one of your orifices where you can keep him nice and cozy for 9 months. After you break in half getting him back out, you're more then welcome to make whatever decisions you like". Gives a new meaning to "shove it". Can't wait to see the 3 Dels!!!