So I haven't written all week. I have kind of been busy doing nothing if that makes any sense. I had a few doctor appointments and lunch dates. I don't usually hang around on the computer once Dennis gets home. So I was thinking and realized I hadn't written since Monday. A few of you have emailed me regarding this and my apologies. I didn't realize I already had loyal readers :)
So one of the things I hate about blogging is that sometimes you can't write what is really on your mind. There are various reasons, but for me the main one is that sometimes I want to use it as a place to vent - that way I am not bogging Dennis down with all my venting. But sometimes I need to vent about people that I like or people that I don't really like at all, but know they are reading the blog. Can you tell I have a few things on my mind that I want to get out? :) Anyway, I need to find a way to still have good blog material without hurting anyones feelings. I'm not sure that is always going to work. So rather than create more drama in my life than necessary, I just decide not to write.
I found out some interesting information at the doctor this week. Originally they were pretty sure that I would not be able to have any pain medication during labor because of the medication I am taking. For whatever reason, they have not great interactions with each other. I was not very excited about this. I found this out at like week 10. My doctor, whom I really do love, was like look on the bright side, at least you have the entire pregnancy to prepare. I was more like, at least I have the whole pregnancy to think about how much it is going to hurt. So Dennis and I started doing our research, what other options did we have? Lots of crazy women have drug free labors so I knew there were a lot of options out there, I just didn't know them. So we hear about the Bradley Method. Without going into too much detail, it seemed like a good option for us. We went to an introductory class one night at babies r us....and let me tell you...IT IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF US! So the lady running the class was the same one you would have for the 12 week preparation. She was nuts. Like totally and completely nuts. She started out talking about God...and anyone that knows me and Dennis that just doesn't work for us. Then she moves on to discussing why good parents have home births, totally implying that if you have a hospital birth you are not going to be a good parent because you are thinking more of yourself than your child. Another point for her on our board. She continues that she understands sometimes home birth is not an option (turns out it is illegal in RI anyway, not that I would ever do that...even if I had the option physically, I just found this out when telling a friend who is a Doula this story) so you need to make sure you have little to no medical intervention at the hospital. Right lady, even for a normal pregnancy you can't get away with no medical intervention at a hospital. It is a god damn hospital. So the crazy lady continues that if you do have to give birth at a hospital (god forbid...) you should not let them hook you up to fetal monitors (because let's be serious, how useful is it to monitor the baby's heartbeat...), and to especially not let them set you up for an IV. At this point I raise my hand and see Dennis looking at me with this please please please don't cause trouble look. Even though the lady was crazy, she was very nice - I asked what her recommendation is for people who have a severely high risk pregnancy and do not have the option of declining medical intervention. She says that there is always a way around medical intervention. I laughed. I actually laughed out loud and then just let her continue with her crazy lecture. So after the class she comes up to us and asks about my question. I chose not to give her the details of my pregnancy because I was losing patience with her craziness and was pretty sure if she said something stupid I would yell at her. So Dennis and I leave this lecture kind of busted. I was worried that every alternative method class we went to would be like this. So I did what any sane person who is concerned about her labor would do - I pushed it to the back of my mind and decided to deal with it when labor came. Because that's a good idea.
So anyway, I completely ignore the fact that I have to do this and continue with my life. I go to the doctor 2 weeks ago and get AMAZING news. A different version of the blood thinner I take is approved for use with anesthetics. Yay!! So, we decided at 36 weeks I would switch to that blood thinner and then I can have an induction and get pain killers. Not just any pain killers, but also an epidural. The mother of them all. I was so excited. There was really nothing that was going to kill this for me. I was having an epidural and I wasn't going to kill my husband during delivery. Then I watch NBC nightly news.
The new fucking blood thinner was recalled. That's right, recalled. Not available for use in the US any more as of that afternoon. WHAT THE FUCK!? As if I do not have enough issues with this god damn pregnancy can't someone just let me have a damn pain killer during labor. I don't really think that is too much to ask. Turns out, blood thinner injections are made from water and mucus from pig intestines. Disgusting. That means for 2 years I have been injecting myself with mucus from pig intestines and I never even knew it. But what I find to be even more disturbing is that someone actually decided to try to inject this and see if it worked...and it did! Fascinating. Anyway, this pharmaceutical company that made the other version of my blood thinner was cutting costs and bought mucus from a pig farm in China that wasn't regulated for human consumption. They just bought the goop and made life saving drugs from it without any worry if it was infected with disease or anything. Because it saved them money. Turns out, it was infected with ickies and killed a bunch of people. Awesome.
I was dead silent while watching this story. Dennis just sat there - he had no idea what my reaction would be. I am so unpredictable right now I could have gone in any direction. To his great surprise (and mine) I just started laughing. I didn't know what else to do. I feel like some things are so stupid in my life, that people think I am exaggerating...and this would be one of those things for me. What are the chances that they would find a way for me to take thinners and not worry about a blood clot AND have pain killers at the same time - and then the damn drug gets recalled the same day they tell me. You can't write a book like that because no one would believe it. So I was back to square one - push the labor prep to the back of my mind and deal with it when the time comes.
So here we are, a few weeks later. I am at the doctor's office and she brings up what my plan is for labor. I was like oh right, well that is far away so we haven't really talked about it in too much detail. My lovely doctor smiles and says, Becky, it is only 3 months away. That time is going to go by the fastest of the entire pregnancy. You need to have a plan. So I cried. i just burst into tears and told her I didn't want to. I'm surprised that I didn't throw myself on the floor and start punching and kick the floor having a full blown temper tantrum. But like I said, I love my doc and she just rubbed my back and told me what she would be most comfortable with based upon all my nutty medical issues.
They are going to induce me during week 37. For those of you that know the importance of the number 37 in Dennis' life can get a good laugh out of that. She also said that the pharmaceutical company that produces the thinner I am currently using released the other pain killer friendly version this week. And she is pretty confident that it won't get recalled and I can have pain killers!
Moral of this story: If I ignore something that really scares me then it will work itself out :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dammit - now I have to bring back the "I *heart* Mucus From Pig Intestines" tee shirt I picked up in Alabama for you.
yay for painkillers! and yes, thats definately the way to deal with things...ignor them and they'll go away. :) thats how i deal!
Post a Comment